Sunday 15 February 2015

A weekend in Bath | Travel

Last weekend I went on a short break down south to the beautiful city of Bath, with Tom.
We spent most of the time sipping tea & eating cake in various tea rooms or braving the chilly February air to do some sightseeing.
 It was such an inspiring and historic city, I wanted to share with you what I got up to and some recommendations of places to go (mainly for tea or cake..)

 



Sally Lunn's Tea Room
This was our first stop to grab some brunch. It is one of the oldest buildings in a Bath and is famous for its tea & 'Bath Bun's' (open tea cake sandwiches).
It was beautifully quaint & old fashioned inside and the loose tea was such a treat for a tea lover like myself. 
It got a little busier towards midday with a queue forming as we left but definitely worth visiting if you are coming to Bath.
 




Roman Bath Museum
I was a bit skeptical when Tom mentioned going here, as I thought it would be over priced for what it was, but I ended up finding it really interesting and picturesque. It is a museum that conserves the old Roman Baths and architecture. It was around £14 for entry and you can walk right up to the large natural thermal spa bath and underground bathing areas. 




Riverside Cafe 
After a walk through town and along the river we stopped off at a small cafe tucked away under the bridge on the river. There was so much choice for a small place, I couldn't decide whether to get one of the yummy cakes or homecooked pasta. In the end I chose warm pitta and hummus. Tom got the pasta of the day which was chorizo, chicken and tomato which was so tasty ( I had to have a spoonful.. or two).



 Aqua Restaurant
Our Saturday evening meal was a little more indulgent, we decided to get dressed up and treat ourselves at a modern restaurant just two minutes away from our hotel, called Aqua
I had a delicious fish dish, while Tom had steak. It was really reasonably priced for amazing food and atmosphere, I would definitely recommend this place if you want great food with a 'date night' feel.


The Pump Room
This tea room is right next to the Roman Baths and has a lot of history behind it, which you can tell from the deco and grandeur. It was beautifully opulent and spacious inside, with a piano player to the side too. We chose to have our Sunday lunch here after a morning spent in the Spa as it was reasonable and included pudding!
Again they served loose leaf tea which I now love. I think I might have to buy a strainer as it tastes so much more richer and flavorsome than tea bags.



Thermae Bath Spa 
We couldn't go all the way to Bath without getting in some form of Thermal Bath, so we headed to the Spa near to the Abbey first thing on Sunday morning. I think it is a fairly new Spa but it was already really popular and for good reason. It had three floors of large thermal pools and saunas topped off with a large heated rooftop pool over looking the Abbey and with spectacular views over Bath. I didn't take any photos but check out the website if you are interested, as I would highly recommend this, especially for couples or a girls weekend.



I hope this post has been helpful if you are thinking of heading to Bath for a short trip. It was so nice to get away for the night and explore a new city. Let me know if you have been to any of these places or if you have any recommendations for trips I would love to hear them! I am always looking for an adventure! 

Thanks for reading!



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Made Up Style. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig