Sunday 12 February 2017

Crochet | Granny Hexagon Blanket ft. Plum Ombre Yarn Bundle from Bella Coco store



What more could you need to cheer yourself up on a cold winters day than a little crocheting. Especially when the colours are this pretty. 

For my latest crochet blanket project I wanted to experiment with the yummy Plum Ombre Bundle from Bella Coco Store. The pack contains six berry toned double knit yarns from Style Craft which are perfect for big blanket projects like this. I was really happy with the last blanket I made using the green ombre pack but I wanted to try something a little different this time. Having been getting a little obsessed with hexagons recently thought I would try a new take on a granny square, the granny hexagon.  

Here's how I got on...




 The Plum Ombre Bundle contains six 100g balls of Style Craft DK in:

Boysenberry 1828
Pale Rose 1080 
Raspberry 1023
Plum 1061
Fuchsia Purple 1827
Grape 1067

Check them out here.  

As I had never made a granny hexagon before, I headed to Bella Coco's Youtube channel to learn the basics as I know her tutorials are always really easy to follow. The blanket is made up of lots of little hexagons joined together, so once you get the hang of one its easy to make more in different colours.



You will need:

Plum Ombre Bundle from Bella Coco Store 
Crochet hook (I used a 4mm)
Scissors
Sewing up needle 
 

1. To start make a slip knot in the chosen yarn colour. 
2. Chain 4
3. Slip stitch into the fourth chain from the hook to create a loop. 
3. Chain 3 to create the first treble.
4. Make a treble into the center of your loop.
5. Chain 2.
Repeat making two trebles separated by two chains around your loop until you have six clusters in your loop. Making sure you finish with two chains and slip stitching into the top of the first chain you made to join the circle.



To start the second row...
1. Chain 3 (counts as your first treble)
2. Make one treble into the same space. 
3. Make another treble into the next space.
4. Chain 2
5. Treble one into the same chain two gap from the row below, then treble into each of the 3 spaces along.
6. Repeat steps 4-5 until you have 6 clusters including the first one you made.
7. To complete the first cluster you made, chain 2, then make one treble into the same space and slip stitch into the top of the chain 3 you started with. 
You should have six clusters of four trebles separated by two chains.


For the third row...
1. Chain 3 (counts as your first treble)
2. Make one treble into the same space. 
3. Make three more trebles into each of the next spaces.
4. Chain 2.
5. Treble 1 into the same chain two gap from the row below, then treble into each of the next 5 spaces along.
6. Repeat until you have six clusters of trebles around your work. 

7. To finish, chain 2, then make one treble into the same space and slip stitch into the top of the chain 3 you started with, this will complete the first cluster you made.

You should have six clusters of six trebles separated by two chains.

Make a slip stitch to finish, cut off yarn and pull through. I like to weave in all my ends using a chunky sewing up needle at this point.





I couldn't wait to see what my blanket was going to look like, so started to sew a few of my hexagons together. I used a raised joining technique so you could see the ridges between each hexagon but Sarah Jayne from Bella Coco uses a flatter technique for joining. It just depends on which you like the look of best. 

I will go into more detail about how I joined my hexagons and also making half hexagons in my next blog post, but for now why not have a go at making your own crocheted Granny hexagons!?

Happy crocheting! Leave me comment below if you have given this style of crocheting a go, I would love to hear how it went.

Anna 
x

Liked this post? You may also like to read:

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Made Up Style. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig